Monday, May 14, 2012

Grateful To Be Alive



There are so many things to be thankful for in life. Among the things to be thankful for are a family that loves you, a roof over your head. To me one of the greatest gifts is that I’m alive today. When I was a year old, I followed my “auntie” into the kitchen playing with my toys. My favorite toy, a yellow rubber duck flew into a bowl of “just boiled” steaming hot water, which was being used to warm my porridge. Of course I still didn’t understand the danger of playing with the bowl, so I reached for it to get my duck back and the hot water poured over me, and remember I said it was steaming so I just want you to imagine how it felt on my one year old skin. Painful thought right? 

Now around this time my dad was in the bedroom, suddenly he had a scream. My dad ran into the kitchen to find me crying sorry let me rephrase that, screaming! He ran into the kitchen, and found me screaming, really screaming. After cooling me down with cold water, he carried me outside where a neighbor, hearing me scream had ran outside to see what’s wrong. Together they hurried and took me to hospital and, okay do you seriously expect me to remember all that? I was one year old. P.S. The happenings of that day have been narrated to me numerous times by my dad and mum and validated by the scars on my arms. 

I was rushed to Gertrude's Garden Children’s hospital which at the time my dad in his right mind would never have dreamed of taking me to but I was in so much pain and he was therefore not in his right mind. So when we got there he had no money which he needed if I was to be operated on, but God somehow made a way and provided all that was needed for me to be treated. I was in hospital for ten days and God helped my parents using people I probably will never meet or who will never know I’m alive.

P.S. If you were one of the people who helped save my life I want to thank you, because without your help I wouldn’t be here today.  A million times THANK YOUUUUU.    

1 comment:

Mukundi Wambugu said...

Grateful for the things we do call "little". Great writing Sarah.